Oman With Family: Gear Up For a Family Getaway Filled With laughter And Love
Oman is a fantastic family destination with a rich cultural heritage, majestic mountains, shimmering deserts, emerald beaches, bustling bazaars or souks, and kind-hearted locals. It is one of the safest countries in the Middle East, making it an ideal destination for families. Moreover, Oman provides a unique blend of culture, nature, and adventure for families seeking an enriching vacation experience. So, are you ready to explore the charming wonders of Oman with your family? This guide will take you through the 8 best family places in Oman.
Create Priceless Memories: Best Family Places In Oman
Oman is located in the southeastern region of the Arabian Peninsula in Southwest Asia. It shares borders with the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Yemen. To the south and east, it has coastlines along the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Oman, respectively. Trust us when we say there is no better place for family fun than Oman. Come, see for yourself!
- Muscat: The Omani capital, a city among the hills and beaches, is a great place to start your family adventure. Muscat offers a hypnotic blend of traditional and contemporary attractions. Muscat tops our list of the best family places in Oman, featuring emerald beaches on one end and magnificent monuments on the other. Moreover, experience sheer joy by trying thrilling water sports adding excitement to your family adventure. Additionally, Muscat has a harbor overlooking the notable Qasr Al Alam Royal Palace.
Attractions: Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Royal Opera House, Mutrah Corniche, Mutrah Souq, Al Jalali and Al Mirani forts.
- Nizwa: Known for its historic fort and bustling souq, Nizwa is a charming town in the heart of Oman. Nizwa is a lively destination to explore Omani culture and history. Its architectural gems, elegance, and a lively atmosphere make Nizwa popular among families. Hence, known as the Pearl of Islam, Nizwa comes second on our list of the best family places in Oman.
Attractions: Nizwa Fort, Nizwa Souq, Jebel Akhdar mountains
- Salalah: Next on our list of the best family places in Oman is the city of Salalah, home to the Sultan of Oman. Salalah offers lush green landscapes, if you’re visiting during the khareef or monsoon season (July to September). Located in southern Oman, it is also home to glistening beaches, waterfalls, and archaeological sites. So, relax, rejuvenate, go snorkeling, and spend quality time with your family here. Hence, surrounded by banana plantations, Salalah is an ideal place that offers unique family experiences in Oman. This verdant paradise is a visual treat to the sore eyes. Isn’t it so?
Attractions: Al Baleed Archaeological Park, Frankincense Land Museum, Al Mughsail Beach, Dahariz Beach
- Sur: If you’re searching for the top family places in Oman, why not consider Sur? Explore this coastal town known for its traditional dhow shipbuilding industry and untouched picturesque coastline. Families can explore the dhow (traditional boat) yards and enjoy their time together on the azure beaches. Furthermore, you can sunbathe, build dreamy white sand castles, and savor delicious local delicacies. Additionally, kids may enjoy visiting the Ras Al Jinz Scientific and Visitor Center that offers educational programs about marine life.
Attractions: Sur Maritime Museum, Al Ayjah Watchtower, Al Ayjah Fort, Bilad Sur Castle,
- Wahiba Sands: Relish a family day out with fun, frolic, and laughter. But how? Experience the mystical desert life with a visit to the Wahiba Sands. Also known as the Sharqiya Sands, it covers an area of up to 200 kilometers. Take a guided tour on camelback or go dune bashing in a 4×4 vehicle and sandboarding. Additionally, enjoying a luxe camp under the starlit sky is a unique and memorable Arabian experience for the whole family. Thus, this massive desert area featuring huge and shimmering golden dunes is a must-visit spot for your Oman family adventure.
Location: Eastern Oman
Unplug And Reconnect With Family In Oman
- Jebel Akhdar: A visit to Jebel Akhdar is perfect for a family fun day in Oman. Known as the Green Mountain (2,900 meters), this hilly area offers cooler temperatures, terraced farms, and vantage views. You can also go hiking, visit traditional villages, and enjoy the breathtaking views with your loved ones. Hence, Jebel Akhdar is worth a visit with family.
Location: Al Hajar Mountains, Oman
Attractions: Al Hoota Cave, Hiking Trails, Bait Al Safah Museum
- Ras Al Jinz: The Ras al Jinz Turtle Reserve, located a short drive outside Sur, is a hit with families and is suitable for all ages. This family-friendly attraction is a protected nesting site for green turtles. Want to know all about the conservation of these endangered species? You can take guided tours to witness these magnificent creatures nesting and hatching in their natural habitat. Isn’t that fascinating? Hence, it is an educational, interactive, and awe-inspiring experience for kids and adults. So, this place is divine and should be on your list of best family places in Oman.
Location: Ras al Jinz Sur, Oman
Attractions: Turtle-watching tours, interactive museum, accommodation facilities
- Wadi Shab: Last but not least among the beautiful family places in Oman is the verdant valley of Wadi Shab.
Boasting emerald-green pools, waterfalls, caves, and date palms, it is a fantastic place for family adventure and relaxation. Families can hike through the gorgeous wadi (valley), swim in the crystal-clear pools, and explore the mystic caves. The hike to the main pool is relatively easy and suitable for children. Thus, its dramatic scenery makes Wadi Shab a stunning spot for families who enjoy outdoor activities.
Location: Between Muscat and Sur
Attractions: Bimmah Sinkhole, Wadi Shab Hike, Wadi Tiwi
Take inventory of other family places in Oman:
- Masirah Island
- Jebel Shams
- Wadi Darbat
Explore the wonders of Oman together as a family
Thus, Oman offers unmatched experiences, from cultural exploration to outdoor adventures, ensuring that there’s something for everyone to enjoy. However, plan your trip to Oman according to the preferences and age of your family members. Additionally, Oman can get quite hot, so stay hydrated and protect yourself from the sun, especially if you plan outdoor activities.
Remember to respect local customs and traditions while visiting Oman. Also, check for travel advisories or entry requirements before planning your trip. Make your family trip to Oman a memorable one!
- What items are not allowed in Oman Air?
Flammable, sharp, poisonous, and disabling objects are forbidden on Oman Air.
- Can tourists visit traditional Omani villages and experience local culture?
Yes. Tourists can visit traditional Omani villages and experience indigenous cultures that have survived and adapted to the modern day.
- Do people understand English in Oman?
Yes, English is the unofficial second language of Oman.
DID YOU KNOW
- Oman is the oldest independent state in the Arab world.
- The top-selling beverage in Oman is Mountain Dew.