Best Muslim Countries To Visit- a perfect blend of spirituality and adventure
Is traveling to a Muslim-dominated country safe, is a commonly asked question. Trust us when we say that visiting these Islamic countries guarantees an enjoyable and memorable experience. Moreover, exploring the Islamic world is a captivating journey that offers a unique blend of cultural richness, history, and spiritual significance. In recent years, many Muslim-majority countries have become exceptional travel destinations that portray breathtaking landscapes, stunning architecture, and warm hospitality. Here, we present the best Muslim holiday destinations based on their population, diversity, and the range of attractions they offer:
Marvellous Muslim Holiday Destinations- Maldives, Turkey, Morocco
Muslim Population: 100%
Looking for a blissful vacation with your loved one? Head to Maldives acclaimed as one of the best holiday destinations for couples. An archipelago of exotic islands featuring glistening beaches, azure waters, luxuriant overwater bungalows, vibrant coral reefs, and underwater activities make Maldives a tropical paradise on earth. Moreover, Maldives offers glimpses of its Islamic culture through local ceremonies and historic sites
Places to visit in Maldives:
- Male: Visit the vibrant capital city to explore local markets, the Grand Friday Mosque, and discover the Islamic Centre with its impressive golden dome.
- Addu Atoll: This is the southernmost atoll in the Maldives, known for its unique cultural experiences, historical sites, and beautiful lagoons.
- Vaadhoo Island: Famous for its bioluminescent beach, where the water lights up at night due to the presence of phytoplankton.
- Maafushi Island: A local island that offers budget-friendly accommodation options and a chance to experience Maldivian culture.
- Baa Atoll: A UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, this atoll is home to Hanifaru Bay, famous for its manta ray and whale shark sightings during certain times of the year.
Muslim Population: 99%
Second on our list of the best Muslim holiday destinations is Morocco, a diverse and culturally rich country. Its vibrant markets, intricate Islamic architecture, desert adventures, and diverse landscapes make Morocco a favorite among travelers.
Places to visit in Morocco:
- Marrakech: Rich in history and culture, Marrakech boasts stunning architecture, bustling souks, Bahia Palace, and the vibrant Jardin Majorelle. The Koutoubia Mosque and the Saadian Tombs are noteworthy Islamic sites. Travelers can further explore the bustling markets and enjoy traditional Moroccan cuisine.
- Fez: As one of Morocco’s oldest imperial cities, Fez is known for medieval architecture with winding alleys, bustling souks, and historical sites like the Al Quaraouiyine University. The Medina of Fez is a UNESCO World Heritage site and showcases the city’s Islamic heritage.
- Chefchaouen: This picturesque town in the Rif Mountains is known for its blue-painted buildings, creating a unique and charming atmosphere. It’s a perfect place for relaxation and exploration.
- Casablanca: Morocco’s largest city and economic hub, known for its modern architecture, bustling markets, and the impressive Hassan II Mosque.
- Essaouira: A coastal town with a relaxed vibe, known for its historic medina, beautiful beaches, and water sports opportunities.
- Atlas Mountains: A breathtaking mountain range offering hiking, trekking, and the chance to experience Berber culture in traditional villages.
- Sahara Desert: Travelers can experience the stunning dunes, go on camel treks, and spend a starry night in desert camps.
Muslim Population: 99.2%
A fusion of East and West, featuring a rich Ottoman history and modern cities make Turkey a popular tourist destination. Hence, from historical sites to natural wonders, Turkey offers countless attractions to explore.
Places To visit in Turkey:
- Istanbul: With a mix of European and Asian influences, Istanbul offers a unique experience for travelers. The iconic Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and Topkapi Palace are architectural marvels. Further, the Grand Bazaar is a heaven for shoppers seeking traditional goods.
- Izmir: This coastal city features cultural landmarks- the impressive Izmir Clock Tower, the ancient Agora of Smyrna, and Kadifekale Castle. Furthermore, the city’s waterfront is perfect for relaxation.
- Cappadocia: Known for its unique landscapes and hot air balloon rides, Cappadocia also boasts the Kaymakli Underground City, showcasing early Christian and Muslim history.
- Bodrum: A coastal town known for its vibrant nightlife, historical sites like Bodrum Castle, and the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
- Antalya: A popular resort destination, Antalya offers beautiful beaches, a picturesque old town, and access to the ancient city of Perge and Aspendos Theater.
Most-visited Muslim Countries- Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Indonesia
Muslim Population: 93%
Recently opened for tourism, Saudi Arabia is rich in history, culture, and natural beauty. It offers access to religious sites like Mecca and Medina, as well as modern attractions like Riyadh’s skyscrapers and the Red Sea coastline.
Places to visit in Saudi Arabia:
- Riyadh: The capital city of Saudi Arabia is a mix of modern skyscrapers, traditional architecture, and historical sites. The National Museum, Al-Masmak Fortress, and the Kingdom Centre Tower are must-visit attractions.
- Jeddah: This coastal city is known for its vibrant art scene, shopping, and the iconic King Fahd Fountain. The historic district of Al-Balad is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Mecca: The holiest city in Islam, Mecca is home to the sacred Kaaba and the Masjid al-Haram.The annual Hajj pilgrimage draws millions of Muslims to Mecca. Even though non-Muslims are restricted from entering the holy city, visiting here outside of Hajj season allows for a more tranquil experience.
- Medina: Medina houses the Prophet’s Mosque and serves as the burial place of the Prophet Muhammad. Moreover, it’s also a place of tranquility and reflection.
- Dammam and Khobar: These cities are part of the Eastern Province and offer beautiful coastlines, parks, and the King Fahd Park is a major attraction.
- Farasan Islands: If you’re a fan of diving and marine life, these islands in the Red Sea offer pristine waters, coral reefs, and diverse marine species.
Muslim Population: 92.35%
Beyond the iconic Pyramids, Egypt’s Islamic heritage, the temples of Luxor, and the tranquil Nile cruise provide insights into its history and cultural depth. Hence, featuring ancient wonders and historical significance, Egypt is among the top Muslim holiday destinations for a diverse travel experience.
Places to visit in Egypt:
- Cairo: As the gateway to ancient wonders like the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx, Cairo offers a journey through time. The city of a thousand minarets offers a captivating blend of Islamic history and modernity. The historic Al-Azhar Mosque and the bustling Khan El Khalili market are top attractions.
- Pyramids of Giza: This iconic site includes the Great Pyramid of Khufu (Cheops), Pyramid of Khafre (Chephren), Pyramid of Menkaure, and the Sphinx.
- Luxor: Luxor known as the ‘world’s greatest open-air museum’ is home to the Karnak Temple Complex, Luxor Temple, Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, and many other historical sites.
- Aswan: This city is known for its beautiful Nile River views, the Aswan High Dam, Philae Temple, and the Unfinished Obelisk. Aswan is also a starting point for cruises to explore the temples along the Nile.
- Red Sea Resorts: Sharm El Sheikh, Hurghada, and Dahab are popular seaside destinations for their stunning coral reefs and vibrant marine life. They offer diving, snorkeling, and relaxation by the Red Sea.
- Siwa Oasis: Located in the Western Desert, Siwa is known for its natural beauty, salt lakes, and unique culture. The Temple of the Oracle of Amun and the old town of Shali are popular attractions.
Muslim Population: 87.2%
With the largest Muslim population (277 million or 13% of the world’s Muslim population), Indonesia is a treasure trove of diverse cultures. Indonesia an archipelago of over 17,000 islands, boasts a mosaic of cultures, languages, and landscapes. Visitors can explore ancient temples, and vibrant markets, and experience diverse regional cuisines. Hence, Indonesia’s sheer size means a wealth of experiences for travelers seeking Muslim holiday destinations.
Places to visit in Indonesia:
- Bali: Bali or the ‘Island of the Gods’, is famous for its lush landscapes, vibrant culture, and beautiful beaches. Visit Ubud for its art scene and rice terraces, explore the temples of Uluwatu and Tanah Lot, or enjoy water sports in Nusa Dua.
- Jakarta: The capital city is a bustling metropolis with modern skyscrapers and historic sites. Visit the National Monument, Taman Mini Indonesia Indah, and experience its vibrant nightlife.
- Yogyakarta: This city on Java is a treasure trove of Javanese culture and history. Visit the impressive Borobudur and Prambanan temples, explore the Sultan’s Palace (Kraton), and shop for traditional batik textiles.
- Ubud: Nestled in the mountains of Bali, Ubud is known for its artistic community, lush surroundings, and traditional Balinese culture. Explore art galleries, rice terraces, and immerse yourself in yoga and wellness retreats.
- Lombok: Just east of Bali, Lombok offers beautiful beaches, the majestic Mount Rinjani for trekking, and the unique Sasak culture.
- Komodo Island: Known for its famous Komodo dragons, this island is part of the Komodo National Park. It’s a great spot for diving, snorkeling, and hiking to witness these unique reptiles.
- Mount Bromo: This active volcano in East Java offers stunning sunrise views and otherworldly landscapes. You can also hike to the crater rim or take a jeep tour.
Moreover, other popular Muslim holiday destinations in the world are:
- United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Spain (Granada)
Travel to these Muslim-majority countries to experience the harmony between Islamic traditions and modernity. From architectural marvels to natural wonders, cultural vibrancy, and warm hospitality, each country has it’s unique allure that beckons visitors to explore and learn. While exploring these destinations, remember to respect local customs and traditions, ensuring a meaningful and enjoyable journey. Besides, being Muslim-dominated, they are exceptional destinations flocked by millions of tourists each year from across the globe. The Islamic world welcomes everyone with open arms. So, shed your doubts and add these incredible Muslim holiday destinations to your bucket list for an unparalleled travel experience.
- Which Muslim countries are safe to travel to?
Indonesia, Dubai, Turkey, Malaysia, Maldives, Egypt, and Morocco are among the safest Muslim holiday destinations.
- What makes Muslim-majority countries a popular choice for travelers?
Muslim-majority countries offer travelers a unique blend of cultural heritage, historical depth, and modern experiences. With breathtaking landscapes, stunning architecture, and warm hospitality, they have become exceptional travel destinations.
- What tips to consider when traveling to Muslim-dominated countries?
Dress appropriately for mosques and religious sites, respect their laws and customs, refrain from public displays of affection, and avoid drinking alcohol publicly.