Hungary: Where History And Hospitality Meet In The Heart Of Europe
Hungary is a beautiful and historically rich country in Central Europe offering varied attractions and diverse destinations to explore. From the stunning architecture of Budapest to the charming villages scattered across the countryside, Hungary is a destination that caters to all interests. Also, this European jewel is trending as a hot pick among avid travelers. Why wait? Here is a comprehensive list of the places to visit in Hungary, showcasing its beauty and heritage.
From Thermal Baths To Historic Castles: Best Places To Visit In Hungary
Hungary boasts a rich history, stunning architecture, vibrant culture, and breathtaking landscapes. It shares its borders with seven neighboring countries– Slovakia to the north, Ukraine to the northeast, Romania to the east and southeast, Serbia to the south, Croatia and Slovenia to the southwest, and Austria to the west. Feeling curious to explore this European gem? Read on to learn about the best places to visit in Hungary. Let’s go!
The capital city, Budapest, tops our list of the best places to visit in Hungary. Wondering why? Well, the reasons are plenty. Known as Paris of the East, Budapest is the largest city in Hungary, known for its astounding architecture, romantic aura, thermal baths, and vibrant nightlife. However, the Danube River separates the city into Buda and Pest.
Tourist attractions in Hungary, Budapest
- Buda Castle: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, this historic castle complex atop Castle Hill in Budapest offers panoramic views of the Danube River and the city. Explore the Royal Palace, Matthias Church, and the charming Castle District.
- Parliament Building: A magnificent masterpiece of neo-Gothic architecture, this iconic building is a must-see in Budapest. Take a guided tour to admire its impressive interiors.
- Fisherman’s Bastion: Located on the Buda side, this neo-Gothic terrace provides breathtaking views of Pest, the Danube, and the Parliament Building. So, keep your cameras at hand for great clicks.
- Szechenyi Thermal Bath: Soak yourself in the largest medicinal bath in Europe, offering a relaxing experience in stunning surroundings. It also has indoor and outdoor thermal pools.
- St. Stephen’s Basilica: Marvel at the stunning neoclassical architecture and climb to the dome for panoramic views.
- Chain Bridge: A symbolic suspension bridge connecting Buda and Pest is a great spot to hone your photography skills.
- Hungarian State Opera House: Renowned for its Neo-Renaissance architecture and exceptional acoustics, it hosts world-class performances.
- Danube River Cruise: Explore Budapest with a cruise on the Danube, offering a unique perspective of the city’s landmarks, especially enchanting when illuminated at night.
Hence, these reasons are enough for Budapest to secure a top spot among the best places to visit in Hungary.
2. Lake Balaton
Coming second on our list of the best places to visit in Hungary is Lake Balaton. Known as the Hungarian Sea, for its 197 km of shorline, Lake Balaton is a summer paradise. Surrounded by picturesque towns and vineyards, it offers a perfect setting for water sports, sunbathing, and nightlife. You can also navigate the charming lakeside towns like Siofok (party capital) and Tihany. So, if you’re looking for a relaxing spot in Hungary rather than historical towns, head to Lake Balaton, the largest freshwater lake in Central Europe.
Tourist attractions in Hungary, Lake Balaton
- Tihany Peninsula: Home to the stunning Tihany Abbey, splendid views of Lake Balaton, lavender fields, and a taste of traditional Hungarian cuisine, this area is a natural gem.
- Badacsony: Famous for its vineyards and volcanic hills, it is an ideal spot for wine enthusiasts and hikers.
Eger is a picturesque city famous for its Baroque architecture and thermal baths. Surrounded with vineyards, it is the second-largest city in north Hungary. Visit the Eger Castle and enjoy the renowned local red wine, Egri Bikaver (Bull’s Blood). Eger is also a perfect spot for adventure buffs to indulge in sports such as horse riding, paragliding, hiking, and thrilling outdoor excursions. Thus, with so much activity to do, Eger is undoubtedly among the top places to visit in Hungary.
Tourist attractions in Hungary, Eger
- Eger Castle: A historic castle with a fascinating history, now housing a museum showcasing the region’s heritage.
- Valley of the Beautiful Women: This is a renowned wine-producing region where you can taste some of the finest wines of Hungary.
- Eger Thermal Bath: Known for their healing properties, these baths are a relaxing way to unwind after exploring the town.
As the second-largest city in Hungary, Debrecen is a center of culture and education. Debrecen offers umpteen activities for tourists in Hungary from trekking, visiting museums, hiking, and shopping. The city is also a gateway to the Hortobágy National Park. You can also participate in its cultural festivals, including the annual Flower Carnival. Hence, its natural beauty and vibrant cultural scene make Debrecen secure a spot among the best places to visit in Hungary.
Tourist attractions in Hungary, Debrecen
- Great Reformed Church: This impressive church is an architectural marvel and symbolizes Hungarian Protestantism.
Pecs comes next on our suggested list of the best places to visit in Hungary. Known for its rich Roman history and early Christian mausoleums, Pecs boasts a Mediterranean atmosphere. This charming city in southwestern Hungary is a cultural hub with historic sites, museums, and a vibrant arts scene. A pleasant climate, scenic beauty, marvelous museums, medieval architecture, and fine wines make Pecs a hot spot for travelers in Hungary. Besides its architectural wonders, Pecs continues to lure visitors with its fascinating nightlife. So, explore the town by the day and spend your evening at the many pubs and cafes offering sumptuous Hungarian food, wine, and international delicacies.
Tourist attractions in Hungary, Pecs
- Early Christian Necropolis: A UNESCO World Heritage site, this cemetery complex features remarkable underground tombs and chapels.
- Pecs Cathedral: A splendid example of Romanesque architecture, it is a significant religious site in Hungary.
- Zsolnay Cultural Quarter: A complex of Art Nouveau buildings showcasing the famous Zsolnay ceramics.
Beautiful Places To Visit In Hungary- national parks, vineyards, charming towns
6. Hortobagy National Park
We continue our list of the best places to visit in Hungary with Hortobagy National Park. A UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, it is a paradise for birdwatchers and nature lovers. As one of the largest natural grasslands in Europe, this unique landscape is brimming with wildlife and traditional Hungarian herding culture. Tourists here can enjoy birdwatching, horseback riding, and mesmerizing sunsets.
Tourist attractions in Hungary, Hortobagy National Park
- Great Hungarian Plain: This park is a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve and home to diverse flora and fauna, including the iconic Hungarian gray cattle.
7. Aggtelek National Park
Another iconic village, Aggtelek, makes it to the best places to visit in Hungary. A UNESCO World Heritage site, Aggtelek is famous for its extensive cave system with rare stalactites and stalagmites. Thus, exploring these mystical caves is an awe-inspiring underground adventure. Isn’t that an exciting Hungarian experience?
Tourist attractions in Hungary, Aggtelek National Park
- Baradla Cave: Take a guided tour of the largest stalactite caves in Europe.
This artistic town near Budapest is known for its bright-hued Baroque houses, museums, galleries, and Serbian Orthodox churches. These architectural wonders resonate with the country’s cultural heritage. Thus, add this charming town of Szentendre to your Hungary bucket list.
Tourist attractions in Hungary, Szentendre
- Open-Air Ethnographic Museum: An outdoor museum showcasing traditional Hungarian village life.
Want to sample the best wines in Hungary? Head to Tokaj, a historic wine region in northeastern Hungary famous for its sweet dessert wines. Enjoy a tour of the picturesque vineyards and cellars, and sample some of the finest Tokaji Aszu. Do you know? Tokaj has been producing sweet wines since the 15th century. Thus, its dreamy vineyards make Tojak secure a sweet spot among the best places to visit in Hungary.
Last but not least, the best places to visit in Hungary is the tiny village of Holloko. This UNESCO World Heritage village is a living museum of traditional Hungarian rural life.
Tourist attractions in Hungary, Holloko
- Holloko Castle: A beautifully preserved castle overlooking the village offers a glimpse into Hungary’s medieval past.
Besides these, other best places to visit in Hungary are:
These are just a few of the incredible places to visit in Hungary. Each destination offers a unique experience, whether its exploring historical sites, indulging in thermal spas, or savoring Hungarian culinary heritage. So, start planning for your Hungarian adventure now.
- What is the best time to visit Hungary?
May to October is the best time to travel to Hungary.
- Is Hungary a developed or developing country?
Hungary is a developed country.
- What is the currency of Hungary?
Forint (HUF) is the currency of Hungary.